Tuesday, July 14, 2009

And so it begins.

That sounds very ominous, but I assure you that it is meant with only a sigh of relief and a bit of nervous anticipation.

After weeks and weeks of phone calls, waiting, phone tag, a combined three hours and twelve minutes of sitting on hold, and a whole lot of beating my head into the desktop in frustration, we're FINALLY starting Iain's testing.

Met with the neuropsychologist on Friday. Really nice lady, and for the first time, I spoke with a professional who actually understood where Chris and I have been coming from.
Added bonus being that because so many kids are stuck in that same crack - too smart and capable to be classified as severely impaired in any facet, but nowhere near regular ed. classroom ready or developmentally caught up to speed - the program that we are working with has found some very creative and helpful ways of dodging some of the beauracracy and red tape b.s. that we've been tangled in thus far.

Round One begins on Friday, at 9:00 AM. *insert cheering here*

The last four days have been spent carefully filling out endless sheets of home analysis paperwork - filling in boxes, rating things from 0 to 6, and making lots and lots of notes.

But this time is different. I don't feel like I am doing it for nothing.
I know that it is solely because it is what they are paid to do, but the feeling of knowing that when it's over we will actually know what it is that makes Iain tick, and gain a foothold in the ways that we can best help him succeed... it's like Christmas in July, but ten times cooler.

The battle is nowhere near over, thanks to Michigan's insurance laws, but at least that part is being fought by an entire army of angry parents. Safety in numbers feels pretty darn good right now. Uphill as a group is much more productive than uphill alone.

The next few weeks will be filled with testing, coupled with paperwork for end of the year obligations at work, other responsibilities (the words 'taste of Grand Rapids' have started to turn my stomach sour, as they do every July), juggling events on my calendar, and trying to maintain a sliver of my sanity.

But it is worth it. So very worth it.

When things quiet down, and I'm back in project mode, I'll post some happy, crafty things. But for now, this is as good as it gets.

0 comments: